With our daily routine, we sometimes forget about our health and wellbeing when you're at work. We asked our friends over at Nourish Live Flow to provide you some tips to help keep your mental health in check at work!
7 Wellness Hacks That Can Boost Your Happiness While at Work
When we think of an environment that we would consider one of "wellness", we don't often think of our workplace. On the contrary, many workplaces actually create (or amplify) feelings of stress, overwhelm and anxiety. When the desired outcome of being at work is to be inspired, creative, positive and hardworking, this type of stress-filled setting clearly does not help to achieve this! We firmly believe that the energy of any environment greatly affects the people, how they feel, how they behave, how they think and, ultimately, how they perform. Therefore, it's essential to take steps to foster a positive work environment in order to create positive outcomes.
"We firmly believe that the energy of any environment greatly affects the people, how they feel, how they behave, how they think and, ultimately, how they perform."
Many people believe that it is the role of the employer to create this positive work environment. And, while this is true to some extent—employers should be taking steps to provide a healthy and productive environment—there are certain tips, tools and behaviours (we like to call them workplace wellness hacks!), that you can adopt to create this positive energy for yourself.
What if we told you that you can (easily) increase the wellness that you feel in your workplace, simply by making some small changes to your environment and to your behaviours and actions while at work? The fact is, we all deserve to feel happy, healthy and inspired. By taking the time to incorporate some easy wellness hacks into your daily routine, you can make your workplace more like your favourite Zen space (think Yoga studio, spa or retreat!). And, when your friends and colleagues see you looking relaxed, fresh and happy, they too will quickly follow suit.
Keep scrolling for our top 7 workplace wellness hacks that'll boost your happiness and productivity at work.
Start your workday with a favourite morning ritual or routine
How we start our day has a huge impact on how the rest of our day plays out. We have all had those mornings where we have one crappy experience at the start of the day (you sleep horribly or stub your toe getting out of bed) and the rest of your day is a cascade of one crappy experience after another. By starting your work day with something that you love to do (taking an extra 10 minutes to savour your Americano or matcha latte, having a quick catch-up session with your work bestie to gossip about last nights Scandal episode or simply spending 5 minutes doing deep breathing exercises), you greatly increase the chance of having a happy and productive day. By making a habit of this, you will find that you begin to look forward to that first 10 minutes at work and it will help set up the rest of your day to be happy, productive and well, awesome!
"How we start our day has a huge impact on how the rest of our day plays out."
Take mini-stretch/yoga breaks
Sitting for 8 hours a day at work not only contributes to a more sedentary lifestyle, but it also wreaks havoc on your posture and your stress levels. Taking mini breaks to do some stretching in your office (you can even do a quickie Yoga session), is a very easy way to help combat all of these things. Simply set a reminder on your smart phone every hour and take 5 minutes to stand up, move around, stretch your body from side-to-side, breathe and expand. This small amount of moving and breathing will have a huge impact on how you feel at the end of the day.
Go for a power walk
Getting outside in the fresh air to take a power walk is one of the best ways to increase energy levels and decrease stress during the workday. Simply grab your sneaks before you head out the door in the morning and lace up, either before the day begins or during your lunch break. The simple act of getting outside, raising your heart rate and soaking up some Vitamin D (even if it's just 10 minutes!) can help re- energize and re-focus you and even get you through that dreaded 3 pm slump. Even better? Ask a friend or group of colleagues to join you and make it an every day occurrence. By making it a group effort, you'll not only engage in some stress-relieving social time, but you'll keep each other accountable to help create an everyday habit.
Do some deep breathing exercises at your desk
One of the absolute best ways to combat the feelings of anxiety, stress and frustration that can arise in many work situations is to incorporate some deep breathing exercises into your day. And no, we're not suggesting you engage in a 30 minute zen-style meditation. It can be as easy finding somewhere where you can sit quietly and then focus on your breath for 5-10 minutes, a couple of times a day. Think you're too busy? You can also incorporate this type of breathing exercise while you're doing other tasks. All you need to do is practice breathing deeply for the duration that you are doing the task (checking over a document, creating a social media post, writing a report). Make it a daily habit and you'll be amazed at how much easier and stress-free your days will go, a feeling that we like to call Flow.
De-clutter your desk, cubicle or office
Visualize it—you walk into your office space, hoping to bang out something creative and amazing, but all you see is clutter—old work items, used coffee cups and stacks of paper. Feeling inspired? Didn't think so. Our advice? Make an effort at the end of everyday to tidy up, freshen up and de-clutter. That way, when you walk in to your office space each morning to start a new day, you can simply sit down, be productive and create. But that doesn't mean you can't have a few beautiful items that help boost your happiness in that space. Fresh flowers, a piece of art, a vision board, a pink Himalayan salt lamp and an essential oil diffuser can all help create a sense of calm and keep those creative juices flowing.
Eat healthy, clean, Zen-like foods
The fact is the foods we choose to put in our bodies affect how we feel, think and act, even at work. So, by choosing to eat clean, healthy, unprocessed and whole foods, you are enhancing the state of wellness that you will feel at work. Try starting off your day with a breakfast brimming with antioxidants, healthy fats and protein (think a protein-packed berry smoothie or Ezekiel toast with mashed avocado and baby spinach). This will not only keep you feeling satisfied, but it will give you that energy-boost you need to get through your morning meetings without crashing. We love coffee just as much as you. But, if you consume pot after pot, make sure you are hydrating enough to compensate for the dehydrating effects (which can make you crash long before that lunch break). Opt for snacks such as nuts and seeds, veggies with hummus or apple slices with almond butter that give you a good dose of protein and healthy fats. For lunch - pack it! Create a habit of making your lunch in the morning and filling it with fresh and seasonal veggies and greens, fruits, healthy whole grains and fats, and lean sources of protein (chicken, turkey, fish, beans). By eating this way, you will have sustained energy levels throughout the day and end the day feeling as fresh as when you started it.
Take time to feel grateful
We believe that being grateful is one of the most important components to creating a healthy and happy life. Being grateful for the things that we have in our life (and this includes at work), greatly enhances our feelings of happiness and joy, and we actually attract more of those things to us. So, if your favourite part of your day is your morning team meeting or you're most passionate when working on a big project, take time (all you need is a couple of minutes) to be thankful and grateful for those moments. If you make this a regular part of your day, we promise you will start to see more and more of these moments that make you happy and satisfied at work come your way.
Check out Nourish Live Flow by Danielle McGrath and Lindsay Evans for more healthy recipes and wellness tips!
Lemon Lily Loose Leaf Tea
Lemon Lily Tea is a Toronto-based loose leaf company that guarantees and prides to offer the best quality organic tea in the market. The focus tea is our favourite blend for those who need the afternoon pick-up without the high levels of caffeine from coffee. The natural blend of green tea with ginkgo, gotu kola, and maca would help with your concentration and mental acuity to help you get through the rest of the day. And we can't forget the organic Canadian maple that gives this tea a natural subtle sweetness to have you reaching for this cup of tea over coffee.
Why not finish off your afternoon on a strong note? Pukka Tea picks the highest quality of herbs to be blended. Along with the boost from the black tea, ginger, cinnamon, and cardamon will warm you up and set a fire up within you. This is the best cup of tea to cradle in between your hands for warmth!
The Honest Leaf
Check out our website for baskets for any occasion - birthday, anniversary, thank you, get well soon, sympathy, or for no particular reason but to gift health and happiness.
The Jule's Team
As the year slowly closes in, the most festive holiday season has begun! The holidays are our favourite time as there is always something for everyone. Along with the bright holiday colours and decorations, we also made sure Jule's Baskets have something to offer for everyone on your list!
Our modern approach on the classic gift baskets are mindfully curated and include an assortment of health-conscious, mouth-watering artisanal local goodies that won’t be tossed or re-gifted. It's truly a gift that will leave a lasting impression!
We are your full-service gift basket company that will ensure you have a stress-free holiday season! Add a personalized card with your personal message to make the gift special, pick your delivery date, and the rest is covered on our end.
Check out our holiday collection for healthy and happy gift options!
Wedding season is in full swing! Beautiful summer nights make the perfect backdrop for glittering tents, bright flowers and blushing brides. It's safe to say that everyone is either attending one wedding or part of a bridal party this summer. Since gifts are such a large part of wedding culture, whether you are buying for the bride or saying thank you to all your wedding party, we wanted advice from an expert as to what gifts we should be giving! This is what our expert wedding planner had to say about our newly created bridal gift baskets.
I am so excited to be guest posting today with Jules Baskets! I am Catherine, the owner and Lead Planner of the creative details. An event and wedding planning company that specializes in intimate celebrations loaded with personalized details.
I consider my style simple, airy, and romantic with a love for natural textures and sometimes, a hint of sparkle!
My favourite part of celebrations is the guest experience we are able to create. The attention to detail and personalization is what makes each wedding so special.
What first attracted me to Jules Baskets was not only their amazing selection of products but also their purpose for business. Julie notes “This is isn’t an ordinary gift basket. This is a relationship curator”. I love this because isn’t that true? A gift is a special thought. A gesture to let someone know we were thinking about them or are celebrating with them. Those sweet moments that bring us together and help love grow.
The bridal collection has me giddy with excitement - that feeling you get when scrolling through the website and wanting to buy them all immediately. I am a strong believer in buying local when you can and when you find something great, you want to share it with the world - so hello brides, I am so happy to share this find with all of you!
Bridal gifting ideas:
- Bridesmaids gift (from bride)
- Engagement Gift (to bride)
- Bridal Shower gift (to bride)
- Bachelorette party gift (from bride)
- Welcome gift for those extra special guests coming from out of town
My personal favorite? The Everyday Living Basket - it’s filled with tons of great products to make a girl feel pampered!
A few more reasons we love Jules baskets:
- Everything you need to know about the baskets is online (see links below)
- The baskets can be delivered anywhere is North America
- There are a variety of options to accommodate different budgets
Are you a business owner? A curated basket/bag/box is the perfect way to thank your clients, tribe and referrals!
Today I was asked what is an appropriate gift for a casual housewarming party? Although I think it largely depends on the person, you cannot go wrong with helping to stock their kitchen with all the essentials. Providing kitchen wear and hand selected goodies are some items that will remind the person of you every time they use it. Check out these unique housewarming baskets that help fulfill their house wear needs and start their new pantry with the best-tasting products.
For the coffee lover. Help them revamp their morning coffee ritual with an organic, fair trade coffee beans and cafe style coffee press.
For the home owners who love to cook, we have the Ultimate Culinary Gift Basket that is sure to fill their pantry with unique artisanal essentials. It is an assortment of hand-selected products that are sure to impress guests and are health-conscious.
We also have the perfect basket for the Independent Lady moving out on her own! It has got a bit of everything, from tasty treats for the foodie to kitchen wear and luxury body products. You can help her save on the household essentials.
If you liked products from each of these baskets or from the website we can make a customized basket for that new homeowner on your shopping list!
If you are working on improving your health, creating a work environment that is conducive to your lifestyle is essential. After all you do spend 40 hours there each week! Whether you run a company or are an employee, you can be the voice to make changes around your workplace. Making these small changes will pay many times over in productivity, happiness and moral!
Here are our top 5 ways to stay healthy at work:
- Choose healthy, appealing food to offer staff at meetings, luncheons and for those nights of overtime.
- Stock your vending machines with healthy snacks. All the companies we work with provide healthy snack alternatives that are organic and most importantly satisfying.
- Provide food options for people with dietary restrictions. With so many new gluten free products on the market coupled with a lack of education around celiac disease, there has been a misunderstanding as to the legitimacy of going gluten free. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease caused by consuming the protein called gluten found in many grains. It primarily destroys the lining of the small intestine, but ultimately makes for very uncomfortable digestion, and can cause many complications in the long-term. We have amazing Gluten Free & Vegan Baskets.
- Get moving! Bring in a certified instructor to teach an exercise class over lunch or provide a gym membership in employee benefits. Exercise increases blood circulation to the brain, which increases alertness and productivity. Win-Win. We also have baskets catered to those living an active lifestyle.
- If possible, create a company community garden. This will not only get people active on their lunch hours, but it can provide a great source of healthy, pesticide free food for employees to take home. Plus, gardening has been known to be therapeutic for some. Since gardening is not relaxing for everyone, we also have all encompassing de-stressing baskets that are guaranteed to help you relax!
As Entrepreneurs, we know that it can be a challenge to keep stress levels in check while eating healthy and getting enough sleep. Being mindful of your nutrition, sleep and exercise will increase your energy to give you the edge to succeed in your business. Here are a few simple wellness tips to get you rocking your biz.
1. Get Rest. This first tip is imperative for good health, yet difficult for many entrepreneurs and that is to get plenty of rest! When we sleep, our bodies can repair themselves from an often stressful, busy day, while our brains have a chance to process all the information taken in. If you use the evening as a time to unwind, you will have a much better chance at getting a good nights rest. Try going to bed no later than 10:30 and waking around 5:30-6am. You are more likely to be productive early in the morning with a fresh start which will invite relaxation later in the evening when you feel accomplished. It may take time, but eventually your body will get used to this schedule.
Here are some simple tips to help you sleep well to increase your energy and productivity.
- Avoid evening exercise
- Drink warm tea before bed - we love Serene Tea from The Honest Leaf. The combination of herbs is so calming and the taste is so soothing
- Turn the screen light down on your smartphone
- Limit all electronic use for 1 hour before bed - try some quiet reading that is unrelated to business or try meditation or a walk
- Sleep in a dark room with a cooler temperature
- Try magnesium - magnesium relaxes the muscles and is often deficient in people who feel over worked and stressed. We love Orange Naturals Magnesium Glycerinate or Natural Calm if you prefer a powder form that is drinkable, similar to a tea
2. But first, a workout! Moving your body in the morning wakes up the muscles and increase blood flow. We love to do 45- 60 minutes of functional training like TRX, resistance bands, squats and weights in the mornings as it helps maintain and promote muscle tone often lost from sitting all day! You don’t need to join a gym, just purchase some basic equipment or workout DVD’s that you can quickly do at home. Even 20 minutes of yoga and stretching does the body good, whatever you can fit in that day.
3. Eat balanced meals. What we eat directly affects how our brain and bodies function. As an entrepreneur, we know you need all the energy and brain power you can get! I also know that eating regularly prepared meals is not at the top of your list.
Here are some helpful tips for ensuring adequate fuel without the stress:
- Dedicate 1 day, morning or afternoon/ week to grocery shop and prepare your food. Cook in batches, freeze and portion out into containers for the week.
- If you aren’t into cooking, there are many healthy food delivery companies. We like Fit Organix.
- Eat whole foods with a focus on lean protein, fresh green vegetables, raw nuts and seeds and some whole grains, while avoiding processed food and take out
- Set yourself reminders to eat every few hours. Ideally 3 small meals and 2-3 snacks in between
- Have healthy snacks on hand - we love Simply Protein Bars because they are delicious, low in sugar and keep me feeling full
- Start your day with an easy energizing smoothie to maximize nutrition (recipe below)
4. Take breaks. Give yourself a lunch break mid-day for at least half an hour. Enjoy a healthy lunch of lean protein, fresh veggies and some healthy fats like avocados, seeds or olive oil to prevent you from becoming tired in the afternoon. Go for a walk, watch some funny Youtube videos or call a friend - do something to actively remove from your work. Try walking the stairs at work, or go for a walk.
5. Drink more. Water of course! Try to limit your intake of sugary soda, juice, alcohol and dehydrating coffee as they interfere with your energy levels. Get yourself a reusable water bottle that you can pack with you on the go or keep in front of you at your desk. Make it your goal to take a few sips every half hour. We love S’well Insulated water bottles because they keep your beverages cold for 24 hours. They also come in bright and fun colours so you’ll always be reminded to keep sipping! Also, try swapping your coffee for tea. If plain water is too boring for you, add some lemon or fruit for flavour.
6. Supplements. The quality of our food and our high levels of stress increase our requirements for additional nutrients. By adding a high quality multivitamin, vitamin C and absorbable magnesium can extremely helpful for our energy levels and keeping our minds sharp. It is recommended to take your supplements throughout the day. Remember, most supplements and vitamins from your local drug store are not the quality that you are looking for.
Energizing Smoothie Recipe:
- 1 scoop of protein powder - We love the creamy texture of Dream Vanilla Whey Protein
- 1/2 a banana
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 cup of fresh spinach or kale
- 1 tbsp. of hemp hearts (Manitoba harvest)
- 1 cup of Coconut water (Jax) (or water)
- Combine in a high speed blender until smooth and enjoy!
These tips work for us, but feel free to adapt any of these to fit your schedule best. Remember to always listen to your body and it’s cues. If you feel like your head is spinning give yourself permission to shut off until you’re ready to step back in the ring and tackle your next plan.
For more information or a free 15 minute consultation, please contact us at email@example.com. One of our Holistic Nutritionists and Holistic Lifestyle Coaches would be more than happy to help you.
- Emily Sawyer, CNP & Julie Tadeson, Founder of Jule’s Wellness
With Mother's Day around the corner and joyous news from our favourite holistic nutritionist, we decided to do a special interview!
Read on to learn more about this inspiring woman and what she's looking forward to most when it comes to being a mom.
#1 What is your favourite part of your pregnancy so far?
The unconditional love and admiration I already have for my sweet bambina and I haven’t even met her yet.
#2 How many children do you see yourself having?
Not sure yet.. My hubs is happy with one probably because he’s an only child, but I’m open to more. I guess we’ll see how much energy we have once our baby hits the toddler years!
#3 Do you have any Mother’s Day traditions?
When my grandmas were both still alive we would all get together for a family dinner — it was a big event with my cousins, aunt and uncle. Now that they are no long around, I always treat my mom to something special by taking her and my dad out for brunch or dinner. I talk to my mom every day either by phone or text and I try to let her know as often as possible that I love and appreciate her whether it’s Mother’s Day or not — she’s the most generous, kind and sweet woman I know.
#4 Has your mother given you any parenting advice that resonates with you?
Not direct advice, but just by being her sweet and kind self she has shown me what unconditional love is all about.
#5 What values have you inherited from your upbringing that you would like to pass along to your little one?
Definitely the importance of eating a meal together, as a family. My mom never missed a day of making my brother and I a healthy meal. She worked a full-time job, so did my dad, but somehow she always managed to have dinner on the table and the four of us ate together. Both Walker and I are firm believers in the importance of making healthy and yummy meals. I can’t wait to cook with my sweet little girl in the kitchen!
#6 What about motherhood are you looking forward to most?
The three of us spending time together whether it’s going to High Park to play or baking together, seeing her discover new things and find her passions in life. I’m looking forward to pretty much everything but most of all I can’t wait to see her beautiful smile. :)
#7 Do you have any special plans for Mother’s Day this year?
Yes we are getting together with both of our mamas (Walker and I) for dinner. Plus my dad and Walker’s stepdad. It will be a joyous occasion I’m sure!
For some great Mother's Day ideas check out our Joyous Wellness Baskets below:
Wishing all you amazing moms a very happy Mother's Day!
With just two weeks until Mother's Day we want to help you cultivate that special bond with a thoughtful arrangement of unique, hand selected and health-conscious goodies she will love!
One of our most popular collections are our Lifestyle and Wellness baskets and boxes For Her. With a mixture of everything from gourmet chocolates, loose leaf teas, delicious treats, natural skincare, popular books and more, we promise you nothing will go to waste!
We have deconstructed this popular Wellness basket to show you why you can trust that you're giving mom the best quality, natural products.
All Natural Skin Care
Merben Dry Skin Brush
Dry skin brushing is great for circulation by increasing blood flow throughout the lymphatic system. Encouraging movement in this system is important for removing toxins, dead skin and helps to tone.
Inspired Soap Works Soothing Dead Sea Salts
Dead sea salts contain high amounts of minerals like magnesium and potassium. Magnesium is amazing for it's tension and fluid reducing action on the body. Soaking in a hot bath with these salts encourages deep relaxation while improving joint, muscle and osteoarthritis pain.
Pretty Organics Chamomille Bath Fizz
A luxurious, heavenly scented bath treatment to replenish skins moisture with pure shea butter, organic flowers and pure essential oils. For the ultimate spa experience at home!
Consonant Foaming Face Wash
This 100% natural cleanser is gentle, yet effective, packed with nourishing botanicals like tea tree oil and grape seed oil to hydrate skim, even skin tone and flight blemishes.
Dr. Bronner's Citrus Castille Soap
Made with citrus essential oil, this organic, fair trade soap invigorates the senses and leaves skin smooth without any harmful residue.
Crate 61 Grapefruit Body Body
A delicate, super rich whipped formula made from 100% natural coconut oil, shea butter and grapefruit essential oil. This long lasting butter is perfect for improving dehydrated skin leaving it moisturized and even toned.
Gourmet Loose Leaf Teas
The Honest Leaf: Serene
With a refreshing, smooth mint flavour this potent mix of naturally dried herbs will promote deep relaxation.
Tealish: Detox Blend
Another delicious blend of naturally dried herbs such as: sencha green tea, lemon verbena, ginger, lemon myrtle, apple bits and Calendula petals to help encourage the removal of toxins and excess water in the body leaving a healthy, light feeling.
Pure and Natural Chocolates
Giddy YoYo Vanilla and Salt
Pure, raw and vegan dark chocolate with a flavour explosion of pure vanilla bean and sea salt.
Chocosol Hemp Seed
Hand made, velvety melt in your mouth pure dark chocolate with the added benefit of omega rich hempseeds and a hint of sweet & natural maple sugar. Our favourite!
Toxic Free Lifestyle Products
BPA free, non toxic S'well bottles keep drinks cold for 24 hours, or hot for 12. They also support charity efforts to bring clean water to the poorest communities.
Designed and made in Canada, these notebooks and cardboard covers are made from 100% post consumer waste material.
For Life Tea Diffuser with Ceramic Dish
The lead-free extra-fine tea infuser with porcelain dish set is complete with unique designed handles that allows for easy steeping of loose leaf tea in her favorite teacup or teapot.
This gift basket is just one of many from our Wellness collection. You can trust that we have selected the purest, natural products that will be sure to impress her on her special day!
Want to customize one for Mom? Get in touch with us!
We would be honoured to put together something more personalized.
I had an idea one year ago. To take my knowledge and create a brand that offers health-conscious and hand-selected products to the masses.
I have a passion for reading labels and finding great products. I love to share my finds with as many people as possible. I knew that I wanted to offer health and wellness but I wasn’t sure how. I was driving home from an appointment with my holistic healer and a light bulb went off. I wanted to curate health-conscious gift baskets with only the best products, all of which I would hand-select. My brand was clear. It was me, Jule's. Standing behind these products, prompting health and wellness, while being mindful and conscientious. I won’t get into the whole thought process I had, but I knew that I had a mission.
What inspired this mission and passion? I took a program by Meghan Telpner through the Academy of Culinary Nutrition. What I learned in that program was immeasurable. I value education, but I am not the scholar type. I am hands-on, multi-passionate with a short attention span. I can’t do 2-4 year educational programs. I like to experiment and try different things, all of which I am passionate about but that will also contribute to bettering myself and evolving.
I can wholeheartedly say that taking this program steered my life in a totally awesome direction. Today I am well on my way with my business, which has now turned into businesses.
Want to learn more about the program? If you have any questions, feel free to email me. True to my mission, I love to share good suff. I want you to succeed, find your passion and to evolve. You never know what’s possible.
Tomorrow April 11th, I will be taking over the Academy of Culinary Nutrition’s Instagram account.
- Page 1 of 3